Friday, October 12, 2012

Book Review - Temptation by RL Stine


Since it is October I was in the mood for something a little creepy, scary and Halloween-y to read, so I picked up this novel by RL Stine out of the YA section.  I loved the Goosebumps books (and the TV series) - watching/reading with my kids when they were younger, so I had really high hopes for this book.  I finished the book over a couple of days - reading in 1 to 2 hour blocks - so a quick read, but I just can't express how disappointed I was with the story.  This book almost seemed like a draft that just needed to be rewritten again before it went to print.  The very basic story line was a good idea, and I feel he could have explored that idea so much better  Below are a few things that stood out (without being total spoilers).

-depended upon too many traditional vampire legends/folklore stories, something new or even a twist on the traditional would have been better

- I stumbled on some of the sentences and had to go back and reread them to make sure I read them correctly; some sentences/paragraphs did not flow well

-a lot of unaswered questions - small things that just made the reader say "what?  how did they (the character) know that? or how could they (character and/or character's family) not realize what was happening?" 

-the setting is a beach town - a lot of summer vacation homes/visitors - and according to the story the only entertainment was:  the beach, the video arcade, carnival (when open), pizza place - even for the summer, it would seem that kids (and families) would venture outside of this small town with its limited entertainment (at least in real life) - these were obviously wealthy families who could afford summer homes and other entertainment

-the book is separated into 3 sections and only after the reader really gets into each section do you realize time has passed or you are dealing with a different group of characters in the same location

-there were a few classic RL Stine twists within the sections, but it seemed like he needed a lot of pages to set them up & the twist took 2 sentences to reveal and it wasn't as big of a change as I had expected

"The Vampire Club" short story at the end of the book was more of what I would consider classic RL Stine horror and I liked it better than the previous 300+ pages.  I submitted a book review to B&N for the first time ever - just because I was so disappointed with this YA novel.

3 comments:

  1. How did I not know you were a blogger, Sherry?! Love your photos. Wordless Wednesday is the best meme. Wish I had ten more hours in my week...just ten....

    New follower! Lucky number 13!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following! I've been blogging for a short time (relatively) and go through spurts of posting a lot, then life gets in the way and my posting gets a little sparce. Hope you are enjoying your read-a-thon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well written article.
    I'll be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I'll definitely
    comeback.

    Here is my web page ... Scott Tucker kansas city

    ReplyDelete