Saturday, March 3, 2012

Focus 52 (2012) Week 9 - J

Took me a few days to figure out what I could photograph for the letter J, and when I finally made my decision time started running out - so here's mine under the wire entry (almost).

Alto Sax & "Got Blues" sheet music
JAZZ  --- my word/photo for this week's prompt.  Sheet music ("Got Blues") & (my) alto saxophone, also representing one of my interests - playing my sax for a couple of groups.  This is the sax my parents bought for me (getting ready to age myself here) in 1976 & it is the one I still play.  The tune is one the student jazz band at our local community college is working on & it is one I really like.  Here's a link to a high school performing Got Blues - (this recording is not any group I know personally - searched for them on youtube on the chance anyone was curious about this kind of blues style of jazz).  The student jazz band at the college is a for-credit class where students learn how to play & understand the many facets of jazz music (many high school jazz bands no longer exist thanks to budget cuts).  I often sit in, along with a few other more experienced players, to help the students get the feel of the different styles of jazz (really helps keep my chops & my sight-reading skills in shape too - bonus).

As a funny side note:  I ended doing a still life (the one type of photography I'm really not good at - but felt I did a better job this time than I did for that week's prompt).  Loving the way the weekly prompts are making me work/think about my photos more.

Happy Birthday Jan!!  (mine is today!!) -- for other "J" photos - visit Two Scoopz

4 comments:

  1. I'm loving it too! It makes me so happy to hear things like that! Great still life and perfect for the prompt.
    Thank you for the birthday wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope this is your best age yet - I have loved my 40s - just wish my body felt like it was still in its 20s.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful image. I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The background color (blue) is actually the inside of my saxophone case - the original case - it is a velvety blue material - another nice accident. Please come back & visit my blog again!!

      Delete