Thursday, August 16, 2012

Exploring with a Camera - Repetition


I didn't set out looking for something to photograph to represent repetition, but after reviewing the images from a very recent weekend trip I realized I had a few that would be great for this month's prompt.  There are many things that are repeating within this scene - the slats of the pier, the railing supports, the pier lights.  This was taken right before dark, so everything was a kind of drab color (sun was setting to the right - but the colors weren't reaching this far), so I decided to make it a black and white image (I may have gone a little too far into the "black").  I carried the tripod around this trip and it really does make a difference when trying to capture certain shots - especially in a brisk sea breeze (technically a "bay" breeze) . 


Here's another image from the same pier - just another section of it, and a little later in the evening  (it is a very very long pier, 1620 feet total in length) that I also gave a black & white treatment to - again maybe a bit heavy on the "black".  This was an attempt on my part to be a little artsy & not have everything all nicely lined up.  I do like the way the distant lights show up as tiny white dots, and the darkness approaching the bright pier fishing lights.


Linking up with Kat Eye Studio's Exploring with a Camera.  Click here to see other repeating images.

11 comments:

  1. These are wonderful Sherry! Love the black and white, and I think the top one is my favorite. Guess I like the feeling of walking right down the middle of the pier. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beverly - I've been playing with B&W and with placing the central objects in such a central place in the frame. We enjoy visiting this park every several years just to see if it is still the same & walk that pier.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that first one does not look like a summer evening! Your processing really changes the mood. I really like the second one, with all of the converging lines and the offset composition. Thanks for joining in Exploring with a Camera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat for the comments - I agree B&W can really change the mood - the colors in the original were actually kind of drab, so at least with the B&W there is a mood. Just trying out new approaches - really working on the B&W stuff.

      Delete
  3. Fun examples of repetition! I love the composition in your second shot, and how the lights pull you into the image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina for visiting - I was afraid some of the tiny lights in the background wouldn't come through - but they did. The 2nd shot was different for me - but I love it. Hope you'll visit my blog again!

      Delete
  4. I like both images, but especially that second one. The first looks mysterious to me, and the second one shows light shining in the darkness..a little less mystery. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deborah for the comments - I agree the images do have a feeling to them - and the second one could definitely be mysterious on the edges. Hope you'll visit me again.

      Delete
  5. Both of these are wonderful, but I really like the POV and the lights in the distance on the second one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos. I like the increasing darkness in the second and the way the lights catch your eye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great examples. Love the effect of the b&w and how it has affected the mood of the image - and I love the repeated pattern of the lights on the first shot. Great angle on the second shot too. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete