Monday, September 5, 2011

Texas Fires

What a labor day weekend Texas has had... wildfires seem to be sprouting up everywhere.  I think I fear fire more than hurricanes - more time to prepare for a hurricane.  We've had dry spells in the past, but nothing like this dangerous fire weather that I can remember.  Weather underground has a really cool map that shows where all the current fires are in the state as well as the smoke trails - some of the smoke is so dense/heavy it is showing up on weather radars. 

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=30.13563&lon=-97.51465&zoom=9&type=hyb&units=english&rad=0&wxsn=0&svr=0&cams=0&sat=0&riv=0&mm=0&hur=0&fire=1&fire.sat=1&fire.smk=1&fire.day=1&fire.day=7&fire.hrmin=19&fire.hrmax=24&fire.opa=70&fire.mode=0&tor=0&n

It is also interesting to read what other people are saying about Texas & the fires. I read one article from Reuters about several of the fires (including one that killed 2 people) and I don't know if I'm more saddened by the reality of the fires or the comments that people have added to the article. Maybe I live in a dreamworld & people really don't like Texas or her people? Here's a link to the article, in case you'd like to read for yourself:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/05/us-texas-wildfires-idUSTRE78426D20110905

I don't have any of my own pictures to add to the blog today - actually I'm grateful for that - meaning I'm not close to an area where fires are burning.  Very sad to read/watch on the news how some of our state parks/forests are burning.  I can't imagine watching the fire approach and take over a house.  It is also very upsetting to think that we may not be receiving substantial rainfall for the next 3-6 months (heard that on the weather news this morning). 

No comments:

Post a Comment